Friday, March 17, 2006

I LOVE This Song...

I love India.Arie and the way she empowers women and try's to help them be comfortable in their own skin. I personally love any song that says be your own person and screw what people think. I hope you take a minute to read the lyrics because they are lovely and empowering and it's just nice to remind ourselves that it's important to value the inside NOT just the outside. I am not my hair... (Spoken) Is that India? What happened to her hair? Da da da da da (Verse 1) Little girl with the press and curls Age 8 I got a jerry curl 13 and I got a relaxer I was the source of so much laughter 15 when it all broke off 18 when I went all natural February 2002 I went on and did what I had to do Cuz it was time to change my life To become the woman that I am inside 97 dread locs all grown I looked in the mirror for the first time and saw that (hey) (Chorus) I am not my hair I am not this skin I am not your expectations (no) I am not my hair I am not this skin I am the soul that lives within (Spoken) What she do to her? I don't know; it look crazy! I like it. I might do that. I wouldn't go that far. (Verse 2) Good hair means curls and waves. Bad hair means you look like a slave At the turn of the century Its time for us to redefine who we be You can shave it off like an African beauty Got in on like Bob Marley You can rock it straight like Oprah Winfrey It's not what's on your head, it's what's underneath (say hey) (Chorus) I am not my hair I am not this skin I am not your expectations (no) I am not my hair I am not this skin I am the soul that lives within Does the way I wear my hair make me a better person Does the way I wear my hair make me a better friend Does the way I wear my hair determine my integrity Expressing my creativity (Verse 3) Breast cancer and chemotherapy Took away her crown and glory She promised God if she was to survive She would enjoy everyday of her life On national television her diamond eyes are sparkling Baldheaded like a full moon shining Singing out to the whole wide world like hey (Chorus) I am not my hair I am not this skin I am not your expectations (no) I am not my hair I am not this skin I am the soul that lives within (Repeat) If I wanna shave it close or I wanna rock locs That don't take a bit away from this soul that I got If I wanna wear it braided all down my back I don't see nothing wrong with that

9 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Amen!!

3/18/2006 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

She is awesome. I love her. She is exactly what she says she is!

3/18/2006 05:48:00 AM  
Blogger Lena said...

But, what happened to her hair?

3/18/2006 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Berry said...

I'm right behind Jessica. Gotta check it out!

p.s. - I assume she's referring to Melissa in Verse 3?

3/18/2006 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I do in fact love this song and her, she seems geniune.

3/18/2006 01:16:00 PM  
Blogger keda said...

lovely. i'm off to limewire as itunes dont bloody deliver here! i'll buy it later*
thaks babe*

3/18/2006 02:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/19/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/19/2006 06:07:00 PM  
Blogger Virenda said...

I'm glad someone read the lyrics, they are lovely and powerful.

Sshhh, I wont tell Keda. LOL. I of course don't have limewire. No... Not me.

3/19/2006 09:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home