Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Some American Idol Controversy

Okay I'm a fan of American Idol and a fan of Chris Daughtry whom the controversy is about. As any watcher of AI knows, Chris did a "different" rendition of "I walk the Line" which was song originally by Johnny Cash (LOVE HIM) and Chris said he wanted to change the song up a bit. Well it worked for most people, including the judges. So what's the controversy you ask? Apparently the "original" take and flavor he added, was in fact just a copy of the LIVE version of "I walk the Line". Live re-did that song in 2001 and later put out a second CD in 2004. Here's a quote from the message board, "Live singer Ed Kowalczyk called and said that he would like his vocal style back." I'm actually kind of shocked and disappointed and can hope that he didn't claim credit on purpose and maybe just forgot to let everyone know that it is in fact the LIVE version he sang.
So what's your guys take on it?
cdaughtry2002_7johnnycashFinger

8 Comments:

Blogger Virenda said...

Ed from Live. ~wink~ Yeah he sure does.

I still like Chris too.

3/28/2006 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger Berry said...

Yeah, I learned about LIVE's version 5 minutes after I blogged about how Chris reminded me of Ed. I'm not sure he intended to fool everyone; maybe the AI producers just didn't show the clip where he gave credit to the band? Still, I hope he makes an effort to clear it up, because right now he's looking like a 'tief.

3/28/2006 12:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously doubt that Chris tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. This version of "I Walk The Line" may have been "Live's", but it was so very much Chris' style as well.

There are any number of reasons for the misunderstanding. berry,(above), listed one. I am willing to give Chris the benefit of the doubt.

It's just ridiculous to point the finger at an AI contestant and say, "Hey! You stole my song!" How stupid is that? They are on National TV, folks. Duh. What kind of thief would ask you to watch, while they took your goods?

It's a simple matter of miscommunication, or purposeful editing in order to elicit controvery for ratings.

Chris Daughtry is A-OK in my book. His voice is his own and I love it!

3/28/2006 01:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

controversy ... damn typos.

3/28/2006 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I love me some Chris Daughtry...no, really, I LOVE ME SOME CHRIS DAUGHTRY! So, I couldn't care less if he ripped off anything (except for maybe his shirt -wink-) It's AI people, EVERYTHING that they are singing is a "rip off", right? But I think it was Barry Manalow that mentioned Chris wanting to do a "different arrangment". I don't think Chris took credit for anything but the singing. I think if Ed has a beef about it, it's cuz he know Chris is all that and a bag of chips!!

3/28/2006 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

um so let's see - LIVE is seriously concerned about some guy whose name no one knew until a month ago who has YET to have a career? Oh grow up!

3/28/2006 04:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do any of you actually watch the show? lol He DID say that it was version that LIVE did and that they were one of his favorite bands. It was on the week after he sang "I Walk the Line". Ryan Secrest made a comment about LIVE being one of Chris' favorite bands, the Chris made the comment of how his perfomance of "I Walk the Line" was LIVE's version.

4/06/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Virenda said...

Oh calm down. This post was a day AFTER the first Walk The Line performance and it was the next week that RYAN brought it up.

No one cares...

Oh and YES WE do "actually" watch the show...

4/06/2006 12:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home